BIOMATERIALS SCIENCE, 2ND EDITION
BIOMATERIALS SCIENCE, 2 ND EDITION
Buddy Ratner, Ph.D.
Allan Hoffman, Sc.D.
Frederick Schoen, M.D., Ph.D.
Jack Lemons, Ph.D.
- Over 80 contributors from academia, government and industry.
- The most up-to-date comprehensive reviews of all aspects of biomaterials
- Endorsed by the Society For Biomaterials
- Provides comprehensive coverage of principles and applications of all classes of biomaterials
- Integrates concepts of biomaterials science and biological interactions with clinical science and societal issues including law, regulation, and ethics
- Discusses successes and failures of biomaterials applications in clinical medicine and the future directions of the field
- Cover the broad spectrum of biomaterial compositions including polymers, metals, ceramics, glasses, carbons, natural materials, and composites
The second edition of this bestselling title presents the most up-to-date comprehensive reviews of all aspects of biomaterials science by providing a balanced, curricular approach to learning biomaterials. An historical perspective of materials engineering principles is integrated with the biological interactions of biomaterials, regulatory and ethical issues and future directions of the field, and a state-of-the-art update of medical and biotechnological applications. From tissue engineering to cochlear prostheses and drug delivery systems, all aspects of this important and growing field are thoroughly addressed.
Contributions detailing the principles of cell biology, immunology, and pathology from pre-eminent researchers and practitioners from diverse academic and professional backgrounds have been integrated into this important volume. The chapters focus on the clinical uses of biomaterials as components in implants, devices, and artificial organs and their uses in biotechnology as well as the characterization of the physical, chemical, biochemical and surface properties of these materials.
Click here to order http://www.books.elsevier.com/bioengineering